A vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, paleo dessert. These truffles are also unbelievably delicious! Perfect for friends with (and without) dietary restrictions. A vegan friend brought this over for dessert one evening and I couldn’t stop eating them. She recently gave me this recipe and I have already made them three times! They are so easy to make. I love healthy guilt-free desserts!
prep: 30 minutes
makes about 30 truffles
- Grind the 2 cups of unsalted dry toasted sliced almonds in a food processor until they are finely chopped. To give some texture variation, I usually stop a step before they become as fine as almond meal. Remove the almonds from the food processor.
- If your shredded coconut flakes are not small enough (the Trader Joe’s ones are quite large), pulse them in the food processor until they are finely shredded. They will stick better to the truffles if they are smaller. Remove the coconut flakes from the food processor.
- Place the pitted dates in the food processor and grind until the dates form a ball. Redistribute the ball of dates in the food processor and add coconut oil, cinnamon, cocoa powder, and almond meal. Redistribute again and add the rest of the almond meal. Grind until you are satisfied with the consistency and you no longer see big lumps of dates. Remove from the food processor.
- Mix the remaining 2 cups of chopped almonds into the dates mixture.
- Shape them into 1 inch balls and roll them in coconut flakes. I like to refrigerate them but they are also perfectly good at room temperature.